Admissions at ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders
ACUTE Private Patient Room
The ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders specializes in providing medical care to patients too medically compromised for traditional inpatient or residential eating disorder programs. Before scheduling an admission, each patient's case is considered on an individual basis, taking both the medical and psychiatric history into account. We carefully consider all these factors to ensure that ACUTE is the right fit.
Typically, ACUTE treats both males and females, 17 and older, who:
Are at a critically low weight, typically less than 70 percent of their ideal body weight AND/OR
- Suffer from life-threatening medical complications including electrolyte imbalance, severe dehydration, edema (fluid overload), gastrointestinal complications, bradycardia, SMA syndrome, organ failure, previous bouts of refeeding syndrome, etc.
- Need assistance to safely and comfortably “detox” from severe substance, laxative or diuretic abuse
- Are too critically ill or severely low weight to enter a traditional inpatient or residential treatment program
Please call us at (844) 781-4955 to speak directly with an admissions professional and complete our intake assessment.
CALL (844) 781-4955 to speak directly with an ACUTE intake team member. The admissions team happily coordinates an assessment with the patient, family member or referring provider as needed. Patients do not need a direct referral from their primary care physician.
- COMPLETE AN INTAKE ASSESSMENT. The admissions team conducts an initial assessment to gather a brief medical and psychiatric history, and to answer any questions about treatment at ACUTE.
- SEND MEDICAL RECORDS. Please fax medical records and insurance information to (303) 602-5559. If the patient meets basic admission criteria, the team begins to coordinate a timely admission, request medical records and begin the insurance authorization process.
- AWAIT INSURANCE AUTHORIZATION. If the patient meets admission criteria, ACUTE’s Private Patient Liaison team works quickly to obtain insurance authorization prior to admission. Please keep in mind that authorization must be obtained prior to admission and that authorization can take on average 1-3 days, depending upon the patient’s policy requirements. Unfortunately, ACUTE does NOT accept Medicare, Medicaid or Tricare.
- SCHEDULE ADMISSION. Once clinically approved and authorized by insurance, ACUTE schedules the admission. Admissions are typically scheduled Monday-Friday before noon.* The admissions team sends welcome documents and coordinates private transportation from the airport as needed.
*Exceptions may be made for urgent hospital-to-hospital and air ambulance admissions as needed.
For Referring Professionals
The ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders is proud to provide severe eating disorder treatment and expert medical stabilization for the country's top eating disorder treatment facilities and clinicians nationwide. Professionals can rest assured that their patients are receiving the very best medical treatment from a caring and compassionate team of professionals. We also take pride in our referral relationships and work to coordinate a seamless transition back to the referring facility after stabilization. If a patient does not have a long-term treatment plan, we provide a list of reputable facilities and our expert social workers work directly with each patient to help in the decision-making process.
When To Refer
ACUTE specializes in managing the risks of early refeeding to avoid the potentially fatal complications of the
refeeding syndrome. Any patient meeting the following criteria is at risk for developing life-threatening medical complications and should be medically hospitalized during this crucial stage of early nutritional rehabilitation:
IBW <70% or BMI < 16 kg/m2
- Weight loss of > 15% in the previous 3-6 months
- Little or no nutritional intake for > 10 days
- Low levels of potassium, phosphorus, or magnesium prior to refeeding
To make a referral to ACUTE for medical stabilization, contact us at (844) 781-4955 to speak directly with one of our team members.