Patients & Visitors For Professionals LEAN Academy

Nationally Ranked Locally Trusted | (303) 436-6000

Contact Birth and Death Records

(303) 602-3660
605 Bannock Street
Denver, CO 80204
Map It

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8 am - 4:30 pm

3rd Wednesday of Every Month
9:30 am - 4:30 pm

Connect with Denver Public Health

Denver Public Health Facebook Denver Public Health Twitter

Have Feedback about Our Website?

Help us improve our website. Let us know what you like and don't like. Submit comments by email.

Frequently Asked Questions about Birth and Death Records

Is it possible to order my birth certificate over the phone?
Yes, contact Denver Public Health Birth and Death Certificates Department at 303-602-3660.

What kind of ID do I need?
We accept many forms of identification.

I am out of state and need my birth certificate immediately. Can you fax me a copy?
No, we cannot fax birth certificates. However, we can take an order over the phone using a credit card and send it to you with Next Day UPS delivery for an additional $19.

Who is eligible to purchase a birth certificate?
You may purchase your own or one for your:

  • Mother
  • Father
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings (birth certificate proving one common parent required)
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren

Legal guardians with official legal guardianship documentation may obtain a certificate for the ward.

I am doing genealogy research and need birth and death information that is more than 100 years old. Where can I go to obtain this information?
Birth and death certificates over 100 years old are public record. Here are some suggested resources:

I was born in a state other than Colorado. Can I get a birth certificate from your office?
No. You must contact the State Vital Records Office in the state in which you were born.

Is it possible for me to change my child's name on the birth certificate?
Yes, in some cases. It depends on the type of change and the age of the child. Contact the State Vital Records Office at 303-692-2200.

Is it possible for me to put the father's name on my child's birth certificate?
You must contact the State Vital Records Office at 303-692-2200.

How far back do you have birth and death certificates?
We can provide birth certificates from 1905 to the present, for births occurring in Colorado. To obtain a certificate for births prior to 1905 or for home births, contact the State Vital Records Office.

We can provide death certificates from 1964 to the present for deaths occurring in Denver County. For deaths occurring before 1964, contact the State Vital Records Office.

What methods of payment do you accept?

  • Cash
  • Personal check
  • Money order
  • Discover, MasterCard, or VISA (with an additional $10 handling fee)