Pre-Travel Health Consultation and Medications
*If you need prescriptions for travel, such as Malaria, traveler's diarrhea or high altitude sickness medication, yellow fever vaccination or recommendations of vaccines for travel, you are required to make a travel consultation.
The Denver Public Health Travel Clinic provides in-depth travel consultation and evaluation customized to your travel itinerary,needs and level of travel experience. Consultations are provided for individuals, families and groups of all ages.
The pre-travel consultation usually takes 30-45 minutes and is conducted by a travel health nurse who has immediate access to the team of specialists if there are any health-specific questions or concerns. The consultation provides an in-depth review of:
- Medications you are taking
- Medical history
- Fitness for travel or contraindications to travel
- Immunization history
- Evaluation of travel itineraries and risk assessment (rural vs. urban issues)
- Evaluation of psycho-cultural issues (culture shot/adaptation, repatriation)
Your questions and concerns, including:
- Immunizations you need for travel
- Malaria, high altitude illness, or traveler's diarrhea prescriptions
- Letters explaining medical conditions and medical waivers to ease your encounter with border officials
- Itinerary specific illness
- Disease prevention and self-treatment
- Water, food and environmental precautions
- Safety and security tips
- Health care resources
- Consulate resources
- Internationally recognized medical facility resources
- U.S. Department of State advisories/ up-to-date news, weather and safety alerts
- Supplemental insurance such as life, health, evacuation and diving insurance
All information about your medial history, current medical issues, allergies, medications, immunization information and recommendations are kept in a confidential, electronic file which can be used for further pre-travel concerns or future travel consultations.
- All patients who need Yellow Fever Vaccination are required to receive a consultation by our nurse consultant.
Your pre-travel consultation with the Denver Public Health travel health nurse is designed to help prepare you for safe and healthy travel and provide you with the resources needed in the event you should become ill.
If you are ill after your trip (fever, flu-like symptoms or persistent diarrhea) we encourage you to contact your primary care provider for evaluation or you may also contact the Denver Public Health Travel Clinic for more information and referrals.