Smoke-Free Housing Forum
Attend the Clearing the Air 2015 Conference!
Clearing the Air 2015: Tools, Tips and Resources for Smoke-Free Living.
Established in 2009, the Smoke-Free Housing Forum is organized and facilitated by Denver Public Health's Tobacco Program staff. The forum participants include owners and managers of apartments, condominiums and multi-unit housing properties. Meetings provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss and learn from their housing peers regarding how to pass, implement and enforce indoor smoke-free building policies.
Discussion topics may include:
- Benefits of smoke-free housing policies
- Trouble shooting and/or technical assistance
- Presentations from other landlords or property owners
- Networking and resource opportunities
- Marijuana/tobacco laws
Are you interested in sharing information about passing and implementing smoke-free (tobacco and marijuana) building policies?
Please contact Teddy Montoya at 303-602-3684, or Santos Diaz at 303-602-3695 to learn more.
Why your building should have a smoke-free policy
- Most Colorado residents prefer to live in a smoke-free environment
- Implementing a smoke-free policy is legal. Smokers are not a protected class under Federal anti-discrimination laws
- Smoke-free buildings help save on cleaning, maintenance and insurance costs
- There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke
- Fires caused by smoking materials are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S.
- Insurance premiums may be lower in smoke-free buildings
- Damage caused by third-hand smoke is difficult and costly to remove
Smoke-Free Housing Resources - Mailing Postcards
In collaboration with GASP Colorado, Denver Public Health's Tobacco Education and Prevention team has developed a postcard campaign targeted at housing providers in the Denver-metro area who have not yet implemented smoke-free policies. The campaign is designed to educate about, and promote smoke-free policies, especially in multiunit housing. Denver Public Health is happy to offer these materials at no cost to you, for use in your community!
Other Resources and Links