Problems from the procedure are rare, but all procedures have some risk. Your doctor will review possible problems, like:
- Pain and tenderness around the injection site
- Bruising, infection, or bleeding of the injection site
- Decrease in blood pressure
- Nerve damage
- Medication mistakenly injected into a vein or artery
- Organ damage
The risk of problems may be increased with:
- Chronic diseases such as diabetes or obesity
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.
a (Nerve Block)
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists http://www.aana.com
American Society of Anesthesiologists http://www.asahq.org
Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society http://www.cas.ca
Health Canada https://www. canada.ca
Anesthesia basics. Kids Health—Nemours Foundation website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/anesthesia-basics.html. Updated September 2015. Accessed February 13, 2020.
Regional anesthesia for surgery. American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine website. Available at:https://www.asra.com/page/41/regional-anesthesia-for-surgery. Accessed February 13, 2020.