Child Life Internship
The Child Life Internship at Denver Health is a 14 week, 560 hour internship program that provides individuals with the clinical and professional experiences needed to enter the field of Child Life. Under the supervision of a team of Certified Child Life Specialists, the Child Life intern will learn about all aspects of child life, including therapeutic play, procedural preparation and support, coping techniques, bereavement, and parental and sibling support. At the completion of the internship, the intern will be eligible to sit for the Child Life Council certification exam and will be prepared to practice as an entry-level child life specialist. Currently, there is just one internship per semester offered.
Requirements and Deadlines
Prior to applying, qualified candidates must:
- Be in their final year of study and have completed all coursework required to sit for the Child Life Certifying Exam.
- Have diverse experience with children and families, preferably with many ages and developmental levels.
- Have completed a minimum of 100 hours supervised volunteer work with children. Hours do not necessarily have to be completed in a healthcare setting.
(Practicum experience is preferred, but not required. Practicum hours may be used towards minimum 100 hour requirement.)
- Have obtained a minimum GPA of 3.2
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
Application must include the following items and be postmarked by the deadlines listed below.
- Completed Denver Health Internship Application and Supplemental Essay Questions.
- Official transcripts from university. Please include them with your application.
- Copy of applicant’s completed CLC Eligibility Assessment Report.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation – one from someone who has directly supervised applicant in a child-related setting and one from someone who has directly observed or counseled applicant in an academic setting.
- Official documentation of volunteer hours.
- A current resume.
Winter/Spring Semester 2017
Application Deadline: September 5th, 2016
- Offer Deadline: October 11th, 2016
- Acceptance Deadline: October 12, 2016
Please send completed applications and direct any questions to our internship coordinator:
McKenzie Hoffman, CCLS
Denver Health Hospital Child Life Program; MC 0590
790 Delaware St, Room 373B
Denver, CO 80210