Are You a Bariatric Surgery Candidate?
Take the first step toward your new life today by attending a free bariatric seminar
where you will learn about surgical options and the Denver Health program.
Calculate Your BMI
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a tool that helps measure body fat based on your height and weight. Determine your BMI.
Discover a new life! Weight-loss surgery, also called bariatric surgery, is a medical procedure used to treat severe obesity by limiting the amount of food a patient can eat. Bariatric surgery may be an option to help you obtain your weight and health goals, if the following criteria are true for you.
- Losing weight through diet and exercise has never been successful or you have been able to lose weight, but can’t keep it off
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher, which is about 100 pounds overweight
- Your BMI is 35-39.9 and you have at least one other medical conditions related to obesity such as:
- You are willing to make the lifestyle changes necessary to successfully lose weight following surgery, including attending support groups and follow-up medical/surgical post-op visits, following up with a Registered Dietitian, having good eating habits, exercising regularly and undergoing psychological counseling.
In addition to meeting the above criteria, the Surgical Weight-Loss Center team evaluates each patient to determine if bariatric surgery is the right choice at this time by looking at his or her:
- Nutrition and health history
- Current medical health
- Psychological status
Bariatric pre-screening meetings take place at Denver Health during personal one-on-one meetings with appropriate team members, including a Registered Dietitian, our Bariatric Nurse/Coordinator, and a Psychologist.