Welcome to the Division of Orthopedic Research of the Department of Orthopedics at Denver Health. Our mission is to promote high-quality clinical and translation research with the potential for improving patient care in the future.
We have produced and published several hundreds of scientific papers over the years and are proud to be recognized by our peers as a center that has enabled changes in clinical practice thanks to our commitment to research. We collaborate with multiple renowned centers in the United States and internationally. Our reputation has attracted four current full-time visiting Orthopedic Surgeons who spend a year or more on a clinical research fellowship with our team.
The focus of our research is to perform well-designed, clinically relevant prospective trials. This is a long, but rewarding investment that we hope will be in our patients’ best interest with regard to optimizing current treatment strategies and implementing new innovative therapeutic concepts in the future.
In addition to our clinical research division, we run an established microvascular research laboratory that has been excellent for both educational and research endeavors. This lab has attracted research fellows from all over the world. Finally, our Traumatic Brain Injury laboratory, which is currently funded by the Colorado Brain Injury Program, is a state-of-the-art facility, which conducts research at the forefront of the effects of trauma on the central nervous system.
Our research division has research fellowship opportunities. If you are interested in performing a 6-12 month Orthopedic Clinical Research Fellowship, please contact Cyril Mauffrey, MD, FRCS, Director of Orthopedic Research.
Research Sponsors and Grants
- Colorado Brain Injury Program
- United States Department of Defense through Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Asubio Pharmaceuticals
- University of Minnesota and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip Fractures (FAITH): A Multi-Centre Randomized Trial Comparing Sliding Hip Screws and Cancellous Screws on Revision Surgery Rates and Quality of Life in the Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures
- Prospective Post Market Clinical Follow-Up Study of the Continuum™ Metal on Polyethylene Acetabular System
- Multicenter Prospective Cohort Study: Operative & Non-Operative Treatment For Extra-Articular Scapula Fractures
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety, and Pharmacokinetics of SUN13837 Injection in Adult Subjects with Acute Spinal Cord Injury
- Outcomes Following Severe Distal Tibia, Ankle and/or Foot Trauma: Comparison of Limb Salvage vs. Transtibial Amputation Protocol (OUTLET Study). METRC.
- Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury A Prospective Randomized Trial to Assess Fixation Strategies for Severe Open Tibia Fractures: Modern Ring External Fixators vs. Internal Fixation (FIXIT Study). METRC.
- RhBMP-2 vs. Autograft for Critical Size Tibial Defects: A multicenter, randomized trial. METRC.
- Assessment of Severe Extremity Wound Bioburden at the Time of Definitive Wound Closure or Coverage: Correlation with Subsequent Post-Closure Deep Wound Infection (Bioburden Study). METRC
- Improving Activity and Quality of Life Following Orthopaedic Trauma: The Trauma Collaborative Care Study (TCCS). METRC.
- Predicting Acute Compartment Syndrome (PACS) using Optimized Clinical Assessment, Continuous Pressure Monitoring, and Continuous Tissue Oximetry. METRC.
- Treatment of Acetabular Fractures and their Outcomes among Older Adults Admitted to Level 1 Trauma Centers: A Retrospective Data Review. METRC.
- Defining the Safe Timing and Modality of Femur Shaft Fracture Fixation in Head-Injured Patients.
- Comparison of Inflammatory Markers Associated with Different Treatment Modalities in Multiply Injured Patients with Unstable Spine Fracture.
- Use of Pulse Lavage versus Gravity Lavage in Operative Management of Diabetic Foot Infections
- Trial of Inflation Osteoplasty in the Management of Tibial Plateau Fractures
- Interrupted Suture vs. Running Suture for Wound Closure Following Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Effect of Socio-demographic Factors on Surgical Consultation among Patients with Osteoarthritic Knee Pain
- Decision Quality for Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Patients in a Safety Net Hospital
- Tourniquet Application Time versus Surgical Site Infection Rate
- Randomized controlled trial comparing the Minimally Invasive posterior approach to Direct Anterior approach for primary total hip replacement
- Tibiofibular Syndesmotic Disruption and Fixation: Randomized Trial Comparing TightRope to Screws
- NSAIDs And Trauma in Orthopaedics (NATO)
- The Value of a Post-discharge Telephone Follow-up
- The role of skin microbiota in the development of infections following open fractures: A prospective cohort observational pilot study
- CarboFix Carbon Fiber Plate for the Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures
- CarboFix Carbon Fiber Plate for the Treatment of Distal Radius Fractures
- Trauma and Alanyl-Glutamine Supplementation (TAGS): The short-term effects
- A Retrospective Study of the Treatment of Long Bone Defects (RetroDEFECT). METRC.
- Chopart's and Syme's Amputations In An At-Risk Diabetic Population: A 10-Year Review
- A comparison of below knee amputation and above knee amputation rates 2000-2012: A Retrospective study
- Multi-disciplinary Approach in Prevention of Major Lower Extremity Amputation in Patients with Peripheral Vascular Disease or Critical Limb Ischemia in a Safety Net Hospital
- Transmetatarsal amputation success rates: A retrospective study
- A Retrospective Review of Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Lower Extremity External Fixation
- HIV and Orthopaedic Polytrauma, a Retrospective Review
- Epidemiology of Acetabular Fractures
- Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Plate Osteosynthesis for ankle Fractures: a consecutive series of 20 patients
Winter 2013 Orthopedic Research Newsletter
Paper of the Month
Orthopedic Paper of the Month: Outcomes and complication rates of different bone grafting modalities in long bone fracture nonunions: a retrospective cohort study in 182 patients
Download a copy
The Orthopedic Specialists at Denver Health publish an online newsletter each quarter. The newsletter features the latest techniques and case studies on orthopedic trauma, orthopedic research, articles and publications, educational events and more.
- Volume 11
Denver Health Hand & Microsurgery Course Series
- Volume 10
Saving the Arm of a 6-Year Old Girl
- Volume 9
Case Study | Challenges in Odontoid Fracture Treatment: Axis or Ally?
- Volume 8
Case Study | In vivo Fluorescence Angiography for Foot De-Gloving Injuries
- Volume 7
Case Study | Surviving an "Unsurvivable" injury: A vertical free fall from 300 feet | 2013 Orthopedic Trauma Conference News | Recent Publications and Research
- Volume 6
Case Study | Open Distal Femur Fracture, Closed Proximal Tibia Fracture, Type 3B Open Distal Tibial Pilon Fracture with Segmental Bone Loss
Research Study | Acute Spinal Cord Injury
- Volume 5
Topic | Podiatry Services at Denver Health
Case Study | Diabetic Ketoacidosis & Infected Diabetic Foot Wound
- Volume 4
Topic | Spine Damage ontrol - A New Standardized Protocol for Patients with Unstable Spinal Injuries
Case Study | Polytrauma with Femoral shaft fracture or Unstable thoracolumbar fracture
- Volume 3
Topics | Combined Rib-Latissimus Dorsi Flap for Elbow Arthrodesis and Soft-Tissue Coverage
Case Study | Oblique Transection through the Distal Radius Ending at the Ulnar Head
- Volume 2
Topics | Combined Injuries of the Pelvis and Acetabulum: Nature of a Devastating Diad
Case Study | Emergent Pelvic Angiography with Embolization of Internal Iliac Artery
- Volume 1
Topics | Preventing Wrong Site Surgery
Case Study | Open Anterior Surgery via a Deltopectoral Approach with a Coracoid Osteotomy
If you are interested in supporting the Orthopedic Research mission at Denver Health, please considering making a donation through The Denver Health Foundation.