Problems are rare, but all procedures have some risk. The doctor will go over some problems that could happen, such as:
- Excess bleeding
- Problems from anesthesia, such as wheezing or sore throat
- Irritation of the airways or vocal cords
- Damage to the airways or lungs
- Irregular heart rate
- Hypoxemia—damage to tissue from low oxygen
- Heart attack
Things that may raise the risk of problems are:
- Drinking alcohol
- Long term health issues such as diabetes or obesity
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.