Related Video: Hip Replacement
Problems are rare, but all procedures have some risk. The doctor will go over some problems that could happen, such as:
- Excess bleeding
- Problems from anesthesia, such as wheezing or sore throat
- Blood clots
- Hip dislocation—happens when the ball portion of the artificial joint comes out of its normal position in the hip
- Injury to nearby nerves or blood vessels
- Noisy or squeaky hip after surgery
Things that may raise the risk of problems are:
- Chronic diseases, such as obesity
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.