Common problems are:
- Difficulty starting to swallow to move food or liquid from the mouth to the back of the throat—liquid may be harder to swallow than food
- A feeling that food is stuck in the throat
- Bringing swallowed food up again to the mouth
- Problems getting enough fluids or nutrition
You will be asked about your symptoms and health history. A physical exam will be done.
The ability to swallow may be tested. This can be done with:
- A test to look for problems while a person swallows
- Tests on the muscles of the esophagus (the tube that goes from the back of the throat to the stomach)
Swallowing structures may need to be viewed. This can be done with:
- An upper GI endoscopy —a scope is used to look at the structures from the back of the throat to the stomach
- A barium swallow
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.
a (Difficulty Swallowing [Mouth and Pharynx])
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association https://www.asha.org
Dysphagia Research Society https://dysphagiaresearch.site-ym.com
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada https://www.heartandstroke.ca
Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologist https://www.osla.on.ca
Dysphagia. Cedars-Sinai website. Available at: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/d/dyphagia.html. Accessed August 13, 2018.
Dysphagia. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/esophageal-and-swallowing-disorders/dysphagia. Accessed August 20, 2021.
Oropharyngeal dysphagia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/oropharyngeal-dysphagia. Accessed August 20, 2021.
Swallowing disorders in adults. American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association website. Available at: https://www.asha.org/public/speech/swallowing/Swallowing-Disorders-in-Adults. Accessed August 20, 2021.