Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass—Laparoscopic Surgery
Problems are rare, but all procedures have some risk. The doctor will go over some problems that could happen, such as:
- Excess bleeding
- Problems from anesthesia, such as wheezing or sore throat
- Blood clots
- Lasting nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea and abdominal cramping
- Breakdown of the staples, allowing leakage of stomach juices into the abdomen
- Bowel obstruction
- Heart attack
Things that may raise the risk of problems are:
- Drinking alcohol
- Chronic diseases, such as diabetes
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.