Healthy Weight...Healthy You
January 01, 2017
What are the key steps to a healthy weight?
Make Wise Food Choices
Follow the Food Guide Pyramid to make wise food choices, including the following:
- Limit the fat in your foods. Avoid fried foods, whole milk, and extra sauces and gravies. Remove the skin from chicken and turkey. Cut off extra fat on other meats. Baked, broiled, or grilled meats are best.
- Avoid too many sweets. Cakes, pies, cookies, ice cream, soft drinks and candy are high in fat and calories. These foods are low in vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Have at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Take veggies for a snack and try a fruit salad for dessert. Add fruit to cereals, low fat yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Increase the fiber in your diet. Try bran or oat cereals. Include beans in more meals: add them to casseroles and soups. Try whole grain foods like whole wheat bread or brown rice.
Cut Back on Portion Sizes
- Follow the Food Guide Pyramid for recommended serving sizes.
- Eat your food, don't drink it! Juice, pop and sweetened beverages like Kool-Aid® add extra calories and leave you feeling hungry.
- Use these examples as guides to help you with portion sizes:
|3 ounces of meat
|Deck of cards
|1 cup of potatoes, rice or pasta
|Size of fist or tennis ball
|Piece of fresh fruit
|Size of a fist or tennis ball
|2 Tablespoons peanut butter
|1/2 cup chopped vegetables
|Three regular ice cubes
|1 ounce of cheese
|Size of your thumb
Increase Your Activity
- Extra activity helps you lose weight! You can decrease your appetite, stress and bum fat.
- Start slowly and pick an activity you like. Take the dog for a walk or walk with a friend.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park farther away from the door and walk a little more.