Sick of Smoking
January 01, 2017
Sick of smoking and trying to quit? Call the Colorado QuitLine for free support from a Quit Coach and free nicotine patches.
Free Support and Quit Plan
This includes a personal quit plan from a Quit Coach, plus tips and support that improves your chances of quitting for good.
Free Nicotine Patches
A free supply of nicotine patches that helps control your cravings will be mailed to you. In order to receive nicotine patches, you must participate in the Colorado QuitLine program and be at least 18 years old.
Free Self-Help Guide with Quit Tools to Help You
You will be given lots of information, tips, and tools used by many tobacco users who have quit. This includes great ways to cope with stress and create a happy, healthy lifestyle while you are quitting and after you quit.
The QuitLine Works!
You are seven times more likely to quit with the QuitLine than if you try to quit on your own. Call the QuitLine for a great start to your new life without tobacco.
What happens when I call the Colorado QuitLine?
- Your call will be answered by a QuitLine Customer Representative. You will be asked for information such as your name, address, telephone number, etc. All information is kept strictly confidential.
- You will then talk to your Quit Coach who will explain how the QuitLine works. Next they will ask some questions about tobacco history. All information is kept strictly confidential.
- Your Quit Coach will help you to create a quit plan, including a quit date and ways to make quitting easier.
- Your Quit Coach will explain the different kinds of products that can help you quit. If you want to use the nicotine patches, your Quit Coach will ask you a few health questions. Your doctor may need to write a medical consent. Your coach will explain how to use the patches and how to order a free supply, which will be mailed to you.
If you prefer you can speak with your provider first about the medicines to help you quit. You can also use the QuitLine services to help you quit by calling 1-800-QUITNOW (784-8669).
You Won’t Regret It!
The benefits begin when you quit, even if you have smoked for decades:
- 20 minutes: Blood pressure and pulse rate decrease
- 8 hours: Carbon monoxide and oxygen levels in blood return to normal
- 2 weeks: Circulation improves and lung function increases
- 1-9 months: Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease
- 1 year: Likelihood of a heart attack is cut in half
- 5 years: Risk of stroke is reduced
- 10 years: Risk of dying of lung cancer reduced
- 15 years: Risk of heart disease and death is the same as someone who never smoked