Thank you for your interest in gender reassignment surgery at Denver Health. We are proud to offer confirmation surgeries with a truly talented multi-disciplinary team of surgeons. Below you will find information about each type of surgery and the surgeon performing these procedures.
Female to Male Surgery (Transmasculine Procedures)
Transmasculine procedures help to align individuals assigned female at birth change into their body they have always known themselves to be.
- Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy | Dr. Jennifer Hyer
Hysterectomy is a surgical procedure to remove all or part of the uterus and sometimes the ovaries and/or fallopian tubes; a gender-affirming, masculinizing lower surgery. Oophorectomy is a surgery to remove the ovaries; a gender-affirming, masculinizing lower surgery.
- Metoidioplasty (in development) | Dr. Marci Bowers, Dr. Jennifer Hyer (in training) and Dr. Rodrigo Donalisio da Silva (in training)
Metoidioplasty is a surgical procedure that uses existing genital tissue to form a new penis.
- Chest Reconstruction Surgery | Dr. Meryl Livermore and Dr. Stephanie Malliaris
Chest reconstruction surgery is a gender-affirming, masculinizing, top surgery that removes breast tissue and forms remaining tissue into a shape that is typically considered to be more masculine.
Male to Female Surgery (Transfeminine Procedures)
Transfeminine procedures help to align individuals assigned male at birth change into their body they have always known themselves to be.
- Vaginoplasty | Dr. Jennifer Hyer and Dr. Rodrigo Donalisio da Silva
Vaginoplasty is a gender-confirming, feminizing, lower surgery to create a vagina and vulva (including mons, labia, clitoris and urethral opening) and remove the penis, scrotal sac and testes.
- Breast Augmentation | Dr. Meryl Livermore & Dr. Stephanie Malliaris
Breast augmentation, or breast construction, is a gender-affirming, feminizing, top surgery that creates or enlarges one’s breasts. *Most insurance does not cover this. Please check with a Transgender Care navigator to find out more.
- Orchiectomy | Dr. Rodrigo Donalisio da Silva
Orchiectomy is a surgery to remove the testes; a gender-affirming, feminizing, lower/bottom surgery. Some people have orchiectomy and later have vaginoplasty, although they are often done in a single procedure. Some people only ever have
orchiectomy. Denver Health recommends waiting to have orchiectomy if you plan on having vaginoplasty in the future due to tissue atrophy.
Denver Health is proud to be an LGBT Center of Excellence. In addition to our transgender surgeries, we offer the following services:
- Primary care and specialty care services
- Cross-sex hormone therapy
- Behavioral Health services
- Treatment and addiction services
- HIV treatment
- PEP and PrEP services
- Voice therapy