The bones will be moved back into place right away. It can take up to 6 weeks for the soft tissue to recover. Movement may be uncomfortable or weak during recovery. There are two methods to put bones back in place:
- Without surgery—medicine will decrease pain while the doctor puts the bones back into place.
- With surgery—the skin will be cut so that the doctor can repair the area. The bones are put back into place and ligaments may also need repair. Devices may be used to support the bones while they heal.
Other treatment may include:
- Medicines to ease pain and swelling
- Resting the joint while it heals, home care like ice and heat packs
- A splint or sling to keep the elbow in place as it heals
- Physical therapy may be needed to help with severe dislocation recovery
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Ortho Info— American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
Canadian Association of General Surgeons http://www.cags-accg.ca
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM). Elbow disorders. J Occup Environ Med. 2013 Nov;55(11):1365-1374.
Elbow dislocation. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/elbow-dislocation. Accessed February 18, 2021.
Elbow dislocation. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/elbow-dislocation. Accessed February 18, 2021.
Rezaie N, Gupta S, Service BC, Osbahr DC. Elbow dislocation. Clin Sports Med. 2020;39(3):637-655.