HCP for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
HCP is a community care-coordination program for children and youth with special health care needs. The Maternal and Child Health Bureau defines the population of children and youth with special health care needs as “those who have, or are at increased risk for having, a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who also require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required by children [and youth] generally” (Maternal and Child Health Bureau, McPherson, et al., 1998). Previously, the program was called the Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs. Now we are simply known as HCP.
The goal of the program is to assist families in gaining knowledge and skills about how to access services and support within the community, so that they are better able to coordinate their child's care with increased independence and confidence. HCP works with families to reduce barriers and issues of a child’s special health care needs and connects families with community programs.
HCP is a county-based service provided through public health departments throughout Colorado under the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. In Denver County, it is based out of the Community Health Services Department through Denver Health.
- Information, resources and connection to access services
- Individualized Care Coordination
- Each HCP Care Coordinator provides in-depth, one-on-one care coordination
- An assessment is completed to evaluate the child’s areas of needs
- A family-centered and assessment-driven shared plan of care is created to work on goals to minimize issues in the identified areas of need
- Coaching and teaching to encourage parents to navigate challenging systems and to gain skills at being their child’s own advocate
- Examples of care coordination activities may include assistance with identifying local services, finding insurance or other financial resources and supporting important transitions such as from hospital to home or from child to adult care. The Denver HCP team also works in the community to increase collaboration and support for families.
Denver HCP services are provided to:
- Children and youth with special health care needs from birth to 21
- Children and youth living in Denver County who have physical or developmental conditions, which could include behavioral or emotional concerns
- Any family regardless of income; there is no cost for services
- Families in their homes, over the phone, in doctor’s offices or in the community
- Denver Health patients and Denver County residents
Referrals can be made by any person involved with the child, including parents or professionals, through the Denver HCP Referral Form, Denver Health EPIC Referral System, in person, by phone or by fax.
Phone: (303) 602-6765
Fax: (303) 436-4798
This project was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant number B04MC28087, Maternal and Child Health Services. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.
- Children's Hospital Colorado Spanish Appointment Line: (720) 777-2764
- Rocky Mountain Human Services Referral Line: (303) 247-8423
- Child Find (Evaluations for children age 3 - 5): (720) 423-1410
- Mental Health Center of Denver: (303) 504-7900
- Colorado Respite Coalition (respite information): (303) 233-1666
- Grupo VIDA (Spanish-speaking support group): (303) 355-9875
- Veyo (Medicaid transportation): 1-855-264-6368
- Family Voices of Colorado (advocacy/resources): (303) 733-3000
- Connect for Health Colorado: 1-855-752-6749
- Enrollment for Health Insurance at Denver Health: (303) 602-2300
- Health Colorado (choose Medicaid plan): (303) 839-2120
- Health Access Express Denver Health Enrollment Van: (720) 648-2307 | (303) 912-0263
- denver human services (medicaid & medicaid buy-in): (720) 944-3666
- chp+: 1-800-359-1991
- healthy communities (medicaid outreach): (303) 602-6770
- medicaid replacement card: -800-221-3943
- ssi (supplemental security income): 1-800-772-1213