Parents and caregivers are often tasked with the difficult decision of seeking medical care for a sick child. When a child wakes up in tears, with a stomach bug, feeling hot to the touch with a fever, or something else, a caretaker can't help but feel helpless. Denver Health's pediatricians are here for a child's health concern, day or night. Our emergency pediatricians offer around the clock care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at our pediatric emergency department.
What can you expect when you bring a child into pediatric urgent care?
When you bring your child to Denver Health's pediatric emergency department for care, you and your child will be enter a separate waiting area that is pediatric-specific. With a special pediatric entrance and waiting room completely separate from the Adult Emergency Department and Urgent Care Center entrance, you’ll find a child-friendly environment that won’t be overwhelming when kids need care.
We understand the special needs and concerns that come up for parents and caregivers. Cuts, unexplained swelling, fractures and broken bones need treatment right away. All of our doctors have pediatric training in treating children from infants to late teenagers.
What's the difference between pediatric urgent care and pediatric emergency care?
Pediatric urgent care treats illnesses and injuries that require medical attention, usually after hours or at night, when your regular pediatrician may not be available. Pediatric emergency care treats a child's life-threatening injuries such as head injuries, serious broken bones, and injuries and illnesses that usually need treatment immediately.
If your child's condition requires inpatient services, we have an inpatient unit with a pediatric intensive care unit close by.
Not sure if you need to bring your child to the pediatric emergency room or urgent care?
Call Denver Health's free nurse line if you have any immediate questions and guidance.
Get the advice and help you need 24 hours a day for FREE with Denver Health Connect 2 Care.
Just call 303-602-2273 (CARE) and Denver Health will connect you with nurses and doctors who can provide you medical help, schedule urgent visits and in some cases, prescribe medicine over the phone. Plus, if your child needs care right away, they can let the Pediatric ER experts know that you are on your way. Call anytime to get connected to the right answers.
Remember! For all life-threatening emergencies, always call 911.
- Child Life Program: We have a dedicated child life specialist on staff to help ease children's fears and anxiety when visiting the emergency room. Also, our team of child life specialists serves children in other parts of the hospital, helping make pediatric visits easy for kids and adults.
- Pediatric Trauma Care - for life threatening injuries and illnesses
- Pediatric Inpatient Unit: Our pediatric inpatient unit includes a pediatric intensive care unit and a pediatric wing staffed by pediatric intensivists, pediatricians and pediatric nurses to provide care 24 hours a day.
- Pediatric Radiology: Our radiology department provides state-of-the-art pediatric imaging services, with a dedicated pediatric radiologist on-site.
- Pediatric Surgery: Our pediatric surgeons use state-of-the-art techniques in treating children and strive to use minimally-invasive techniques as much as possible.
- Pediatric Anesthesiology: Since children react differently to anesthesia than adults, a pediatric anesthesiologist will lead your child's anesthesia care team and will be assisted by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.