How to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus
April 06, 2020
Update April 6, 2020: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends everyone wear a homemade, non-medical grade face mask or cloth face covering to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Original article: As part of Denver Health's commitment to keeping you informed and safe in the face of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, we wanted to share a list of tips to help prevent the spread of the virus.
Denver Health's Chief Medical Officer, Connie Price, MD and Chief Nursing Officer, Kathy Boyle, PhD, RN shared some key information that everyone should be following right now:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If you don't have access to a sink, use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol
- Remember not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover your cough or sneezes with tissue and then throw the tissue out in the trash
- Practice social distancing of at least six feet or more
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- If you are not sick, do not wear a facemask Update April 6, 2020: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyone wear a homemade, non-medical grade facemask when out in public to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. If you are not sick or displaying symptoms, you may still be carrying the virus and wearing a non-medical grade face covering will stop its spread to others.
Denver Health will provide any patients who have cough, shortness of breath or fever with a facemask to wear and access to hand hygiene.
"There are no barriers or boundaries to caring for those who are sick," said Boyle. "At Denver Health, we care for all. We are relentless in providing care for the people in the City and County of Denver and beyond."
For the latest updates and news on the novel coronavirus and preventing further spread of the coronavirus, visit DenverHealth.org/coronavirus. See our latest patient visitor policy.
Manage Your Healthcare From Anywhere, At Any Time
Create a New Account
Existing MyChart Account