At the Bariatric Surgery Center at Denver Health, we offer a comprehensive program to support patients along their weight-loss journeys. Surgery alone is not a cure for obesity, but with a strong commitment to the process and the support of the Denver Health team, it will help you reach your goals.
The below process leading up to surgery generally takes six to nine months. Please contact our bariatric coordinator at 303-602-6232 for help through this process.
- Attend a free bariatric informational seminar
- At the seminar, you will learn about weight-loss surgery options, the comprehensive Denver Health program and meet our team
- Attend at least three nutritional appointments with our registered dietitian
- Attend at least four support group sessions
- Attend at least two psychological visits to determine that you are at a healthy, mental state for surgery, determine that you understand the consequences of surgery and help prepare you for life following surgery and weight loss
- After completing steps one to four, our team will evaluate your progress, and you may be invited to our bariatric clinic for a pre-operative history and physical
Additional steps that may be required prior to bariatric surgery:
- Depending on your current BMI and health, you may be asked to lose weight before surgery
- Quit smoking before surgery