Substance Treatment Programs
- Methadone and Suboxone Opioid Treatment Program
Denver Health offers treatment with medication for opioid use disorders utilizing Methadone and Suboxone (buprenorphine) for patients meeting specific criteria for admission.
- Addiction Recovery Center and Prescription-Based Suboxone Treatment
Outpatient treatment for all non-opioid substance and alcohol use disorders and also prescription-based Suboxone (buprenorphine) and other medication options to opioid-dependent patients.
- Adolescent Substance Treatment
Our substance treatment, education, and prevention (STEP) program provides specialized outpatient psychiatric and substance treatment to adolescents ages 12-21.
- The Recovery Program for Women & Families
This specialty outpatient program is designed specifically to help pregnant, postpartum, and/or parenting adults who need substance treatment. Each individual that comes to the program is treated with respect and offered a safe environment in which to heal.
- Denver CARES Withdrawal Management (Detox) and Residential Treatment
Denver CARES is a 100-bed, non-medical, clinically managed treatment facility that provides a safe withdrawal and detoxification experience in addition to assessment, education, motivational counseling, and residential treatment. Denver CARES operates 24/7 with a staff of registered nurses, behavioral health technicians, addiction counselors, and licensed mental health clinicians.
- Outpatient Behavioral Health Services
Outpatient Behavioral Health Services at Denver Health offers both inpatient and outpatient treatment to adults, adolescents, and children navigating mental health, behavioral health, and emotional difficulties. Collaborates with the substance treatment programs provided at Denver Health to offer co-occurring treatment for patients with substance disorders.
Hours of Operation
- Adult, Pediatric, Psych Emergency Departments: 7 days per week, 24 hours per day
- Hospital Addiction Consult: M-F
- Walk-in intakes for Methadone and Suboxone Opioid Treatment: M-F, present before 5:45 a.m.
- Specialty therapy and clinical services: M-F, 6:00 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Specialty medication dosing: M-F, 5:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m., Sat-Sun, 6 - 9 a.m.
- Denver CARES Detox: 7 days per week, 24 hours per day
- Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care at Community Health Services: Mon-Fri
- Denver Health Substance Treatment Line (Community Line): Voicemail responded to within 1-2 business days (303-436-5711)
- Therapeutic services at Denver Jail Health Services: Sun-Tues, 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Wed, 7 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Thurs-Sat, 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Substance abuse treatment, education and prevention (STEP): M-F, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Addiction Services Awarded for Opioid Program
The Colorado Department of Human Services has recognized Outpatient Behavioral Health Services’ adult addiction services with the Medication-assisted Treatment Prescription Drug Opioid Abuse Hub Provider Excellence in Project Partnership Award. The award, announced on July 24, recognizes our achievements in response to the opioid epidemic. This prestigious honor underscores our pioneering efforts in serving people with substance misuse through no wrong door.
“What set us apart from other programs is our willingness to try new ways to improve patient access, our ability to collaborate across units and departments at Denver Health, and our unwavering commitment to the dignity and well-being of every individual needing our services,” said Lisa Gawenus, director of outpatient behavioral health services. “Every team member has played an important role in developing hub & spoke care.”
- For screening, questions, and getting connected to substance treatment services at Denver Health, please call the Denver Health Substance Treatment Line (Community Line) at 303-436-5711.
- This grant-funded program offers people in the community a call line staffed by experienced substance treatment experts who can screen for substance use, guide people through the process to begin treatment, provide other referrals, and point people in the right direction for accessible opioid treatment and non-opioid treatment options.
- To access substance treatment services through the Outpatient Behavioral Health Services department, please call 303-602-4851.
- For all other Denver Health services, please call 303-436-6000.