Calf Muscle Strain
Causes may be:
- Stretching the calf muscle too far
- Putting sudden stress on the calf muscle
- A direct blow to the calf muscle
This problem in more common in people who do activities with sudden bursts of speed, such as track sports, basketball, and football.
Other things that may raise your risk of this problem are:
- A prior strain or injury to the muscle
- Tight calf muscles
- Not being ready for the exercise or stress
Problems may be:
- Pain when pushing off the foot or standing on tiptoe
- Stiffness in the calf muscle
- Weakness of the calf muscle
- Bruising on the calf
- A popping sensation as the muscle tears
The goal is to ease pain and improve movement. This may be done with:
- Ice and rest to ease pain and swelling
- Medicine to ease pain and swelling
- Exercises to stretch and strengthen the muscle
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.