Problems may be:
- Pain in the shoulder
- Pain with throwing motion
- Shoulder may slip out of place
- Shoulder or arm weakness
- Shoulder may feel loose
It may take 3 months to heal. The goals of treatment are to ease pain and swelling. This may include:
- Medicine to ease pain and swelling
- A sling to prevent the shoulder from moving as it heals
- Exercises to help with strength, flexibility, and range of motion
Some people may need surgery when other methods do not help. Surgery may be done to repair torn or stretched ligaments so they can hold the shoulder joint in place.
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Edits to original content made by Denver Health.
Copyright © EBSCO Information Services
All rights reserved.